Arts and Activism
The arts are an important part of life here at Fourth Universalist. Many of our members are painters and writers, or involved in theater and music and share their gifts with the congregation. It happens through singing and instrumentals during worship, displaying paintings in our narthex, and offering spoken word reflections.
One of the most notable avenues is through the 4thU Artivists. Their mission is to raise awareness and funds to end violence against women and girls globally and locally through creative projects (theater and dance productions, concerts, and art shows) presented under the auspices of the Fourth Universalist Society in the City of New York.
Since 2009, they have supported Eve Ensler’s organization, VDay (www.VDay.org), in their global movement to end violence against women and girls. 4thU Artivists have raised over $90,000 with their annual benefit productions of “The Vagina Monologues”, “The Good Body”, and “Emotional Creature”. Of the money raised, 10% has gone to VDay’s work around the world, with the remaining 90% of the proceeds going to a variety of local organizations including Restore NYC, Safe Horizon, Center for Domestic Violence, GEMS, HerJustice, and Men Can Stop Rape, to name a few.
To learn more or to get involved email them at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out their website at 4thuartivists.com.