Job Description for Fourth Universalist part time Sexton
Fourth Universalist is an equal opportunity employer and abides by the Unitarian Universalist Association Fair Compensation Guidelines. Compensation for this position is $16,000/yr, the expected commitment is 20 hours per week. Below is the job description for the part time Sexton.
Reports to: Director of Administration
Status: Part time (20/hrs week)
FLSA: Non exempt
This position qualifies for benefits.
Job Summary: The Sexton provides support for Sunday service in the form of preparing the sanctuary for Sunday service. The Sexton is also responsible for opening the building, set up and break down for church events. The Sexton’s duties cover the church building and the condo at 392 Central Park West as needed. The Sexton, working with all other staff, supports the mission of the congregation by providing for the cleanliness, room set-ups, maintenance, and safety of Fourth Universalist’s building and grounds.
• Inspect and clean sanctuary, restrooms and church building as needed. This includes, but is not limited to, such duties as sweeping, dusting, washing windows, minor repairs, painting as needed, carpet and floor cleaning and related functions.
• Empty trash and recycling receptacles regularly, adhere to NYC Sanitation schedule for picking up trash/recycling. Maintain outdoor garbage area.
• Participate in snow removal as needed.
• With Facilities Manager and Director of Administration assist in managing Fire Alarm system.
• Keep restrooms and kitchen stocked with paper products and other staple supplies.
• Change light bulbs.
• With Facilities Manager maintain snow blower.
• Perform minor repairs as needed/directed. Maintain basic toolkit.
• Open, close, and monitor facilities use as requested, including lock-up and setting alarm as required.
• General clean-up and maintenance of sidewalks, entrances and garden – including gardening work as needed.
• Set up furnishings and supplies as needed for congregational events including, but not limited to, Worship Services, special services and events, Holiday Party, Board and committee meetings, Seasonal/Special dinners.
• Start coffee for Sunday Coffee Hour; as needed/requested assist the Hospitality Committee with clean up afterwards.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Have or obtain within 90 days of employment the appropriate Fire Alarm license.
• Experience with building maintenance, minor repairs and janitorial work.
• Ability and inclination to plan work schedule efficiently and adjust it as building usage requires.
• Ability and inclination to work with Facilities Manager to maintain an inventory of custodial supplies and equipment in orderly fashion and with adequate quantities.
• Ability to work harmoniously with church staff, congregation, volunteers and members of the wider community.
• Must be able to frequently lift and stack objects up to 50 pounds and frequently exert force to lift, carry, push, and pull or otherwise move objects.
• Must be able to perform manual snow/ice removal.
• Work involves frequent periods of standing and walking, which includes frequently climbing ladders and staircases.
• Work involves stooping, kneeling, crouching, twisting/turning and reaching; laying horizontally in crawl spaces, bending at the waist.
• Indoor/out-door work environment with exposure to weather extremes.
• Must be able to perceive the nature of sound, utilize near and far vision, depth perception, provide oral information, and possess the manual dexterity to handle and work with various materials and objects which are essential aspects of this position.
Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of Fourth Universalist Society’s mission, vision, values and beliefs of the congregation. Provides support to ministers, staff, and congregation in following the mission.
Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work with others and follow clear instructions. Demonstrates interest, skill and success in supporting team environments, engages people positively, with a demeanor of optimism, invitation and abundance.
Motivation: Displays energy and enthusiasm in approaching the job. Commits to putting in additional effort. Maintains high level of productivity and self-direction.
Reliability: Takes personal responsibility for job performance. Completes work in a timely and consistent manner. Sticks to commitments.
Communication: Expresses ideas effectively. Organizes and delivers information appropriately. Listens actively.
Integrity: Shares complete and accurate information. Maintains confidentiality and meets own commitments. Adheres to organizational policies and procedures.
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume to Sheila Powers, Director of Administration at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until July 31st.
We are an equal opportunity employer and abide by UUA Fair Compensation Guidelines. People with disabilities, people of color, Hispanic/Latinx, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.