Fourth Universalist Society in the City of New York
Interim Head of Preschool Education
Reports to: Director of Religious Education (DRE)
Status: Part Time 6 hours a week. 10am – 2pm Sunday, 2 hours during the week.
$25 – $30/hr depending on experience
The Interim Head of Preschool Education will create and execute curriculum which ensures that the weekly Sunday Preschool class is safe, consistent, high-quality, and mission-aligned. Curriculum should be based on, but must not directly follow, the Unitarian Universalist Association’s Tapestry of Faith “Chalice Children” program. Following the Preschool class, they will vision and supervise free play in the gym. The Interim Head of Preschool Education will communicate in a timely and professional manner with the DRE and be a key player in the growth of the Fourth Universalist Society’s Religious Education Program. This job requires a positive, solutions-oriented mindset and excellent relationship-building skills. The Interim Head of Preschool Education will work six hours a week through at least June 30, 2018. (Assuming both excellent performance and congregational approval of this newly-budgeted position in June, the “Interim” moniker will be dropped and the position will become permanent.)
• Must be formally trained in Early Childhood Education (ECE) AND have work experience with curriculum design and classroom leadership in the ECE space
• Must have experience in the Unitarian Universalist church OR be comfortably aligned with the Unitarian Universalist principles
• The Interim Head of Preschool Education will be paid for six hours a week
o Two of these hours provide flexible time during the week to
prepare for Sundays by building Preschool curriculum
prepare for Sundays by collaborating on lesson plans with the DRE
prepare for Sundays by planning for free play in the gym
prepare for Sundays by maintaining communication with parents and church staff
occasionally meeting with DRE and/or parents for check-in’s, performance reviews, trainings, and other meetings as necessary
o Four of these hours provide time on Sunday morning to:
set up and break down the Preschool classroom/the gym
teach the Preschool lesson with the help of a parent volunteer
supervise free play in the gym with the help of a parent volunteer or second staff member
work together with the DRE and other church staff to serve the needs of the church’s families and the religious education program
• In addition, the Interim Head of Preschool Education should always:
o Proactively communicate and nurture relationships with the congregation, Board, Religious Education Committee, families, students, volunteers and staff, both on Sunday and during the week
o Ensure a safe learning environment through implementation and regular review of the Safe Congregation Policy
o Respond to role-related e-mails within two business days
o Arrive by 10:00 AM every Sunday and stay until 2:00 PM every Sunday
o Ensure that Preschool students and free play students are signed in and out
o Participate in leadership of special events as requested
o Give minimum three weeks’ notice if you must take a Sunday off
• Must be able to move freely in and out of different physical spaces and actively engage with children
• Must be able to speak in a public forum
• Mission Ownership: Understands and internalizes the importance of a safe, consistent, high-quality, mission-aligned program; invests parents, students, and co-teachers in this mission.
• Teaching: Invests fully in providing high-quality and mission-aligned lessons that embrace the principles of Unitarian Universalism. Prepares and executes lessons at a high level. Makes students feel welcome and loved and creates a safe, consistent, and focused learning environment. Cultivates positive relationships with parent volunteers who assist in teaching.
• Professionalism: Can be counted on to communicate clearly and in a timely manner; is straightforward, honest, positive, and personable in conversation. Follows through on expectations and is consistently willing to go above and beyond to help the team.
• Hospitality: Generates a sense of hospitality and accessibility by their presence; communicates a sense of availability, warmth, openness, and approachability; fosters natural connections between members of the congregation and with guests; supports a culture of welcoming and connection in the life of the congregation.
• Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to lead others and be led; demonstrates interest, skill and success in building team environments; engages people positively, with a demeanor of optimism, invitation, and abundance; nurtures authentic and meaningful relationships with and between community members; creates strong morale and a feeling of belonging, pride and shared leadership.
How to Apply
People with disabilities, people of color, indigenous people, Hispanic/Latinx, and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply. The Fourth Universalist Society is committed to developing a diverse and talented staff team. If you are excited about this role, but unsure whether you meet 100% of the requirements, we encourage you to inquire and/or apply. Send cover letter and résumé—indicating ‘Interim Head of Preschool Education’ in the subject line—via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or to Fourth Universalist Society, 160 Central Park West, New York, NY 10023. Application open until position filled.